Compare Car Breakdown Cover

  • Looking for the top breakdown cover deals?
  • Use our quick and easy comparison tool to compare all the leading breakdown brands
  • Simply choose from the cover options below to tailor your policy and click the links provided to get a quote.
Green Flag Breakdown Cover
50% off your AA or RAC renewal quote for vehicles 10 years and under on Green Flag's closest equivalent UK vehicle cover.
Choose your breakdown cover options

Our comparison service features a selection of providers from whom we receive commission. This table is initially ordered according to our commercial arrangements. Use the drop down menu at the top of the page to order by other criteria

Breakdown Cover FAQs

Breakdown cover is an important way of looking after your car and your family. It ensures that you have the power to get where you need to go when mechanical problems would otherwise stop your journey in its tracks.

Breakdown cover isn't just purchased for cars - it can also be obtained for motorcycles, vans, trucks, and other road vehicles too.

The right breakdown cover can help to make sure that you don't have to pay hundreds, or even thousands of pounds for rescue and recovery in the case of an emergency.

What kind of breakdown cover policies can I get?

There are different types of breakdown cover to choose from depending on the kind of protection you want to have when out on the road. The most common policies are:

  • Basic Policies

    These policies ensure that you will receive assistance whenever you experience a breakdown on the road. Most of the time, a basic cover will also allow you to be towed to a local garage, but it will not cover the costs of a breakdown that occurs too close to your home.

  • Home Start

    These policies offer basic cover alongside the opportunity to access help if your vehicle will not start at home.

  • Onward Travel

    With these policies, if your car needs to be kept in a garage for repair, you will receive a hire car to keep you moving. Some policies will also cover accommodation if you're stuck out of town.

  • European Cover

    Standard breakdown cover policies will only provide protection while you're driving in the UK. For travel on the continent you will need dedicated European cover that is usually available in annual or single-trip options.

Should I buy packaged, or separate breakdown cover?

Most breakdown insurance can be purchased either as an add-on product within an existing car insurance account, or as a separate product. Usually, it's a good idea to look at all of the available options when attempting to find a deal that best suits your specific requirements, and your budget. Some bank accounts will also package up breakdown cover. Deals vary, so breakdown the prices you’re offered and see which is the best value for your specific requirements.

How can I pay for by breakdown cover?

When it comes to paying for your breakdown cover, most people opt for an annual fee that is expected to cover any call-outs that you may need to make, and any towing that might need to be done for your vehicle. However, there is also an option to choose ‘pay and claim’ packages, where you will be expected to pay for the services that you call out, then claim the money back by sending receipts to your breakdown cover provider.

Will I be covered for business purposes?

Most of the time, when you start shopping for breakdown cover, your insurance provider will ask you whether your car is intended for business use. If you want to make sure that you have this level of coverage, it's essential to check through your policy in advance, and ask questions if you feel uncertain about the level of protection you're paying for.

Featured brands

Important information is a free service with no charge to the user, for more details on how our site works click here. is a trading style of Notice Media Ltd, Registered Office: Floor 3 Haldin House, Old Bank of England Court, Queen Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR2 4SX Registered in England & Wales No 05409985 and also in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1988) Registration Number: Z955517X

Notice Media is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 771521. In respect of consumer credit, acts as a credit broker - not a lender.