All Breakdown Cover

European Breakdown Cover

  • Standard breakdown cover policies do not cover you when driving abroad
  • Dedicated European breakdown cover provide peace of mind to motorists when driving on the continent
  • Compare features and prices for European breakdown cover from leading UK providers in the table below
RAC European Breakdown Cover
  • Defaqto 5 star cover
  • Up to £1,000 garage labour costs included unlike any other provider*
  • Up to £1,200 accommodation expenses and up to £3,000 to continue your journey

Our comparison service features a selection of providers from whom we receive commission. This table is initially ordered according to our commercial arrangements. Use the drop down menu at the top of the page to order by other criteria

European Breakdown Cover FAQs

Regardless of whether you're travelling for business or leisure, European breakdown cover is an essential product for many people on long-distance trips.

The level of cover that is offered by the different European breakdown providers on the market today can differ significantly, so it's important to make sure that you select a policy that fits with your specific travel plans.

Most of the time, European breakdown cover should offer you the same levels of protection that you can access from UK breakdown cover, including features like roadside assistance as standard.

If your car cannot be repaired on the go, your policy should ensure that your vehicle can be taken back to the UK.

What level of European breakdown cver will I need?

The amount of cover that you need to protect your finances, and your car, will depend on your own personal circumstances. For people who travel out of the country on a regular basis, it may be a good idea to select an annual policy, whereas those who are only making the occasional trip can look for single-trip, once-off cover.

Can I just upgrade my standard breakdown cover to European cover?

: If you already have a standard breakdown cover policy, it may be worth contacting your provider to see whether they can offer you any further protection for European travel. However, it's important to remember that European breakdown cover is not offered by every insurance agency.

What is covered in a European breakdown cover policy?

Most European breakdown cover policies will include things like roadside assistance and recovery as standard. However, many providers will also give you the option to add further services to your cover, including the option for a hire car so that you can get around while your vehicle is being repaired, and even hotel accommodation if you need somewhere local to stay while you wait.

It's important to make sure you know exactly what you're getting for your money when it comes to European breakdown cover, as some policies will only offer minimal services, whereas others are very comprehensive.

What would happen if I didn't get European breakdown cover?

If you don't get dedicated European breakdown cover for your car during long-distance journeys, then you won't benefit from the same vehicle assistance that you would get at home. In other words, if you run into trouble, you will need to pay out of pocket for your repairs and roadside assistance and you may not be able to get your car home again without incurring serious fees. The costs of getting a vehicle back to the UK without dedicated cover can easily reach four figures.

How do I choose European breakdown cover to suit my needs?

The best way to make sure that you're getting the ideal European breakdown cover for your needs is to assess each of your options carefully - comparing not only prices, but levels of protection too. Remember that policies vary from one provider to the next, and some can offer additional considerations for things like tent and trailer cover in caravans, or specific European breakdown motorcycle cover.

Featured brands

Important information is a free service with no charge to the user, for more details on how our site works click here. is a trading style of Notice Media Ltd, Registered Office: Floor 3 Haldin House, Old Bank of England Court, Queen Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR2 4SX Registered in England & Wales No 05409985 and also in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1988) Registration Number: Z955517X

Notice Media is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 771521. In respect of consumer credit, acts as a credit broker - not a lender.