First Time Buyer Mortgages
- First time buyer mortgages are designed specifically for those taking their daunting first step onto the property ladder.
- You can compare the latest interest rates on first time buyer mortgages in the table below
What are you looking to do?
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
Our mortgage comparison service lists products from featured lenders with whom we have a direct commercial arrangement with. The mortgage data above was supplied by Moneyfacts Ltd and is updated at the time of mortgage search. The figures and data provided in our tables are for illustration purposes only. While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this data you should always confirm the terms on offer with the provider/broker. We do not give any financial advice.
First Time Buyer Mortgages FAQs
What is a first time buyer mortgage?
A first time buyer mortgage is a mortgage specifically for buyers who are not existing home owners.
Are first time buyer mortgages more expensive?
No. The rate you'll pay will depend largely on how much of a deposit you have. The fact that you're a first time buyer has no impact. In fact, first time buyer mortgages tend to come with incentives such as cashback or free legal services.
What kind of deposit do I need for a first time buyer mortgage?
First time buyer mortgages are available at a range of loan to values (LTVs) - the ratio of the loan amount needed compared to the cost of the property. The larger deposit you have the lower the LTV. Lower LTV mortgages tend to have cheaper rates.
What fees will I pay?
You could face an arrangement fee, product fee, valuation fee and legal fees although not all fees apply to all products.
What criteria will I have to meet to get a first time buyer mortgage?
You will have to meet your lender's affordability criteria. The lender will want to know you can afford to repay the loan and each lender has its own means of assessing affordability. You'll also need to adhere to the lender's standard criteria, including being within its age limit and having a good credit score.
What are the benefits of first time buyer mortgages?
Mortgages aimed specifically at first time buyers tend to feature incentives such as money towards legal fees, cashback or low fees.
What are the downsides?
There aren't any downsides specific to first time buyer mortgages but as a first time buyer it's important to bear in mind all of the costs involved in taking out a mortgage and ensure you are able to afford the monthly repayments.
How can I improve my chances of getting a first time buyer mortgage?
Your lender will want to make sure you can afford to repay the mortgage so keep your finances in order, check your credit score is good (and take steps to improve it if need be) and where possible reduce your outgoings. Also, remember the bigger your deposit the better the rates available to you so save as much as you can before buying.
How can I compare first time buyer mortgages?
You can compare first time buyer mortgages using Know Your Money's comprehensive comparison tables which allow you to sort products by fees, rates and overall cost.
- Accord Mortgages
- Airdrie Savings Bank Mortgages
- Allied Irish Bank (UK) Mortgages
- Bank of China (UK) Ltd Mortgages
- Bank of Ireland (NI) Mortgages
- Barclays mortgages
- Bath Investment & Building Society Mortgages
- Beverley Building Society Mortgages
- BM Solutions Mortgages
- Buckinghamshire Building Society Mortgages
- Cambridge Building Society Mortgages
- Chelsea Building Society Mortgages
- Chorley & District Building Society Mortgages
- Cumberland Building Society Mortgages
- Danske Bank Mortgages
- Darlington Building Society Mortgages
- Earl Shilton Mortgages
- Ecology Building Society Mortgages
- Family Building Society Mortgages
- First Trust Bank (NI) Mortgages
- Fleet Mortgages
- Foundation Home Loan Mortgages
- Furness Building Society Mortgages
- Godiva Mortgages
- Halifax mortgages
- Hanley Economic Building Society Mortgages
- Hinckley & Rugby Building Society Mortgages
- Holmesdale Building Society Mortgages
- Investec Private Bank Mortgages
- Ipswich Building Society Mortgages
- Kensington Mortgages
- Kent Reliance Mortgages
- Leek United Mortgages
- Lloyds Bank Mortgages
- Loughborough Building Society Mortgages
- Manchester Building Society Mortgages
- Mansfield Building Society Mortgages
- Market Harborough Building Society Mortgages
- Marsden Building Society Mortgages
- MBS Lending Mortgages
- Melton Mowbray Building Society Mortgages
- Metro Bank Mortgages
- Monmouthshire Building Society Mortgages
- Mortgage Trust Mortgages
- National Counties Building Society Mortgages
- Nationwide Mortgages
- Newbury Building Society Mortgages
- Norwich & Peterborough Mortgages
- Nottingham Building Society Mortgages
- Paragon Mortgages
- Penrith BS Mortgages
- Penrith Building Society Mortgages
- Pink Home Loan Mortgages
- Platform Mortgages
- Precise Mortgages
- Principality Building Society Mortgages
- Progressive Building Society Mortgages
- Saffron Building Society Mortgages
- Santander Mortgages
- Scottish Building Society Mortgages
- Scottish Widows Bank Mortgages
- Skipton International Mortgages
- Stafford Railway BS Mortgages
- Teachers BS Mortgages
- Tesco Bank Mortgages
- The Co-Operative Bank Mortgages
- The Mortgage Works Mortgages
- Tipton & Coseley Mortgages
- Tipton and Coseley BS Mortgages
- TSB Mortgages
- Vernon BS Mortgages
- 0% Deposit
- 1 Year Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 10 Year Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 10% Deposit Mortgages
- 100% Mortgages
- 15% Deposit Mortgages
- 2 Year Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 2 Year Fixed Rate Remortgages
- 20% Deposit Mortgages
- 3 Year Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 4 Year Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 5 Year Fixed Rate 90% LTV Mortgage
- 5 Year Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 5 Year Fixed Rate No Fee Mortgages
- 5 Year Fixed Rate Offset Mortgages
- 5 Year Fixed Rate Remortgages
- 5 Year Plus Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 5% Deposit Mortgage
- 50% LTV Mortgage
- 60% LTV Mortgages
- 65% LTV Mortgages
- 70% LTV Mortgages
- 75% Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 75% LTV Mortgages
- 80% LTV Mortgages
- 80% LTV Remortgages
- 80% Mortgages
- 85% LTV Mortgages
- 85% LTV Remortgages
- 85% Mortgages
- 90% Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 90% LTV Mortgages
- 90% LTV Remortgages
- 90% Mortgages
- 95% Fixed Rate Mortgages
- 95% LTV Mortgages
- 95% LTV Remortgages
- 95% Mortgages
- Bad Credit Mortgages
- Buy to Let 15% Deposit Mortgages
- Buy to Let 50% LTV Mortgages
- Buy to Let 60% LTV Mortgages
- Buy to Let 70% LTV Mortgages
- Buy to Let 75% LTV Mortgages
- Buy to Let 80% LTV Mortgages
- Buy to Let Fixed Rate Mortgages
- Buy to Let Mortgages
- Buy to Let No Fee Mortgages
- Buy to Let Remortgages
- Cashback Mortgages
- Compare Mortgages
- Compare Mortgages
- Current Account Mortgages
- Discount Mortgages
- First Time Buyer Help to Buy Mortgages
- First Time Buyer Mortgages
- First Time Buyers 100% Mortgages
- First Time Buyers 5% Deposit Mortgages
- First Time Buyers 75% LTV Mortgages
- First Time Buyers 80% LTV Mortgages
- First Time Buyers 85% LTV Mortgages
- First Time Buyers 90% LTV Mortgages
- First Time Buyers 95% LTV Mortgages
- Fixed Rate Interest Only Mortgages
- Fixed Rate Mortgages
- Fixed Rate No Fee Mortgages
- Flexible Mortgages
- Interest Only Mortgages
- Interest Only Remortgages
- Low Deposit Mortgages
- Lowest Fixed Rate Mortgages
- Mortgage Calculator
- Mortgage Deals
- No Fee Mortgages
- No Fee Remortgages
- Offset Flexible Mortgages
- Offset Mortgages
- Offset No Fee Mortgages
- Repayment Mortgages
- Residential Mortgages
- Residential Remortgages
- Right to Buy Mortgages
- Shared Ownership
- Shared Ownership Mortgages
- Top 10 Mortgages
- Tracker Mortgages
- Tracker Remortgages
- Variable Rate Mortgages
Knowyourmoney.co.uk is a free service with no charge to the user, for more details on how our site works click here.
Knowyourmoney.co.uk is a trading style of Notice Media Ltd, Registered Office: Floor 3 Haldin House, Old Bank of England Court, Queen Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR2 4SX Registered in England & Wales No 05409985 and also in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1988) Registration Number: Z955517X
Notice Media is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 771521. In respect of consumer credit, knowyourmoney.co.uk acts as a credit broker - not a lender.