Compare Landlord Insurance

  • Over 1,000 UK trades covered with one of the UK's biggest small business insurance brokers
  • Get multiple quotes and buy online in minutes
  • Trusted by over 400,000 customers
Powered by QuoteZone logo

Core Business Insurance Covers

These are some of the insurers compares

Award-winning comparisons you can trust

It's always nice to know you're on the right track. Over the years, as we have striven to improve the services we provide to our clients and users, we have been pleased to receive recognition for our efforts from both industry and consumer bodies.

Landlord Insurance – General Information

Landlord insurance is cover that specifically protects owners of properties rented out to tenants. Whilst this insurance is not a legal requirement, many mortgage lenders make it a compulsory condition for anyone taking out a buy-to-let mortgage. A standard home insurance policy won’t normally provide adequate protection for the additional risks that a rented-out property poses, whereas landlord insurance can accommodate these more specialist needs. Even if the landlord lives in part of the property and rents out another part, simple home insurance is unlikely to be sufficient.

There are many different aspects to landlord insurance, depending on the type of property being rented out, the tenants renting the property, and how much protection the landlord wants to have. Buildings insurance is the basic level of cover, which insures the main structure of the property and any permanent fittings against any damage. Contents insurance is another key component of a landlord insurance policy, particularly if the property is rented fully or part-furnished. This will cover possessions such as carpets, sofas, and other furniture in the event of theft, fire, flooding, and other unforeseen incidents. Some landlord insurance policies may also have the option to include cover for accidental damage. Any items belonging to the tenants aren’t covered by landlord insurance, so they would need to take out their own contents insurance policy.

In addition to buildings and contents insurance, landlord insurance policies have some more specialist cover options. Property owner’s liability insurance protects the landlord and takes care of any compensation claims if their property causes injury or damage to third parties, tenants, or their possessions. This is often included in most landlord insurance policies, particularly if the property is used for student or social housing.

Landlord insurance also offers some protection for rental payments. Tenant default insurance (also known as rent guarantee insurance) provides cover if, for some reason, a tenant fails to pay their rent on time, whilst 'loss of rent' insurance covers rental payments if the property becomes uninhabitable. For example, if there’s been a fire or flood and the tenants are forced to move out, this insurance will cover the lost rental income. (Buildings and contents insurance will only cover the property, not the rent lost as a result of the damage.)

Legal expenses can be included in landlord insurance, to cover any legal costs incurred as a result of a dispute with tenants.

Landlord insurance can also incorporate home emergency cover, which covers the cost of repairs for emergency situations such as burst pipes and gas or electricity failures.

Important information is a free service with no charge to the user, for more details on how our site works click here.

For insurance services Know Your Money has partnered with QuoteZone and will receive commission from QuoteZone, who in turn may receive commission from the providers they refer you to. Know Your Money does not collect, receive or pass any personal data in respect of this service on behalf of QuoteZone and their partners. is a trading style of Notice Media Ltd, Registered Office: Floor 3 Haldin House, Old Bank of England Court, Queen Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR2 4SX Registered in England & Wales No 05409985 and also in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1988) Registration Number: Z955517X

Notice Media is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 771521. In respect of consumer credit, acts as a credit broker - not a lender.