Compare Van Insurance

  • Search 40 + different insurance providers using Quotezone's easy to use comparison service
  • Over 3 million people have used the site.
  • Independent and unbiased service. Quotezone aren't owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
  • Buy online or by phone. Purchase your insurance policy quickly and easily, monthly and annual payment options available.
Powered by QuoteZone logo

Specialist Van Insurance

These are some of the insurers compares

Award-winning comparisons you can trust

It's always nice to know you're on the right track. Over the years, as we have striven to improve the services we provide to our clients and users, we have been pleased to receive recognition for our efforts from both industry and consumer bodies.

Van Insurance FAQs

Do I need van insurance?

Anyone who drives a vehicle is legally obliged to have insurance against the risk of causing damage or injury to another driver, when using that vehicle. Insurance also covers the driver themselves. Anyone caught without insurance runs the risk of court action, a criminal prosecution and a ban from the road.

Therefore, if you're driving a vehicle you need insurance, and if you're driving a van then it might benefit you to go for specific van insurance. If you use a van only for social reasons then private van insurance might suffice. This would cover taking the vehicle on holiday, doing shopping, and hobbies.

However, if you drive a van to work but do not use it, you might still need business van insurance, as there is no specific social, domestic, leisure and commuting policy for vans.

What are the different types of van insurance?

As with cars, there are the more general types of specific insurance, such as:

  • Third party: covering liability for injury to others, property damage, and liability while towing a trailer – but not damage to your own vehicle. This insurance is the bare minimum that you are legally required to have.
  • Third party fire and theft: same as above, but also covering fire and theft including any damage to your vehicle inflicted while the theft took place
  • Comprehensive: same as above, but also covering loss or damage to your vehicle and its windscreen, and other things such as medical expenses

One of the growing trends in van insurance is telematics; whereupon drivers are traced on their journeys via a black box or mobile phone app that provides a detailed analysis of their driving habits. This is then relayed back to the insurer and can then be used to calculate premiums for the rest of insurance term. It therefore encourages careful driving as an incentive for lower prices.

Car drivers do not generally have a specific insurance bracket that covers the contents of their vehicles, while this could be vital for a van driver. There are generally four types of specific van insurance that cover this to varying degrees: standard (business), goods in transit (see below), courier and pickup truck.

Standard van insurance will cover anyone who uses a van as part of their day-to-day job, such as a tradesman or deliveryman, as well as the contents of the van.

Does it matter what I'm carrying?

Yes. Anyone carrying anything precious, dangerous or hazardous should opt for ‘goods in transit' cover, as it offers assistance if such objects are damaged or lost in transit. Alternatively, if these products are being delivered to someone else such as a customer, a courier insurance will cover those contents – and of course the driver themselves.

Does it matter if I have a passenger?

Third party and comprehensive insurance generally covers any passengers in your vehicle.

What will affect my premium costs?

As with cars and motorbikes, premiums will be higher for drivers who are less experienced and have a poor driving record regarding accidents and traffic crimes. Health, age, profession and other factors could also play a part.

However, there are more specific issues to van insurance. Generally, cars are only driven by one or two people, but a van at an SME (small and medium sized enterprises) could be driven by several people, each with different experiences and driving histories. They might be using the same vehicle for very different types of jobs. The type of vehicle itself and its dimensions and engine size, as well as its age, could also be a factor.

Mileage should also be taken into account: a delivery driver, rep, or construction worker might travel tens of thousands of miles a year, and a vehicle might be parked in different depots, driveways and garages across the country or Europe.

Therefore, it can therefore be very complex to work out an insurance premium for an SME – and in that regard contacting the insurer themselves to make sure they are fully covered would be a wise option for the driver/HR department. Using price comparison sites can give you a good starting point.

What else do I need to know?

  • When taking out insurance make sure you check the conditions to establish that there are no specific omissions that will affect your type of usage. For example, if you visit the continent.
  • Immobilisers, alarms and other security measures will drive down prices.
  • Before buying a van and investigating insurance make sure that your licence covers you to drive your intended vehicle. Vans weighing less than 3,500kg with a maximum of nine seats are covered by a standard driving licence, but to drive anything bigger you would need a C1 licence.
  • Advanced van driving courses can help drive down insurance costs.

How can I get a cheap quote?

One way to get a cheap quote is through using a comparison website. We have partnered with who compare 40+ van insurance providers and are 100% independent meaning they are not owned or have investment from any insurance company.

Important information is a free service with no charge to the user, for more details on how our site works click here.

For insurance services Know Your Money has partnered with QuoteZone and will receive commission from QuoteZone, who in turn may receive commission from the providers they refer you to. Know Your Money does not collect, receive or pass any personal data in respect of this service on behalf of QuoteZone and their partners. is a trading style of Notice Media Ltd, Registered Office: Floor 3 Haldin House, Old Bank of England Court, Queen Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR2 4SX Registered in England & Wales No 05409985 and also in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1988) Registration Number: Z955517X

Notice Media is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 771521. In respect of consumer credit, acts as a credit broker - not a lender.